At least six people, all family members, were killed in a gas explosion in Quetta early Tuesday morning. Police told The Express Tribune that the incident occurred in the Double Road area of the provincial capital.
The family left their gas fireplace running during the night despite the fact that leaking gas loads across the country is routine. “Because of the falling load, the room was filled with gas and when the family members tried to light the heater in the morning, there was a huge explosion,” a police official said, adding that the ceiling of the room collapsed after the explosion.
The owner of the house, cleric Abdul Aziz. Among the dead were his wife, two daughters and three sons. Four other family members were seriously injured.
The injured were taken to Bolan Medical Complex. Police and rescue workers as well as local residents arrived at the scene and pulled out bodies from under the rubble.
Gas explosions as a result of the dumping of loads claimed the lives of dozens of precious human lives throughout the province. Despite repeated attempts, The Express Tribune was unable to speak to any Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) officials. “Our main office is in Karachi, so no one is available for comment,” an SSGC official said, declining to comment on the tragedy. The government, as usual, took no notice of the incident.
“This is a tragic episode and it must be investigated to determine responsibility,” demanded Mohammed Hanif, a neighbor of the family, adding that SSGC was also responsible for negligence and failure to keep consumers updated on the gas load disposal schedule.