Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens vs. The Usos for the Undisputed WWE Tag-Team Championship and Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair for the SmackDown Women’s Championship were the first night’s matches of WrestleMania 39.
The bad blood between Zayn, Owens, and Jimmy and J Uso spilled out onto the “biggest stage of them all.” Multiple amazing plays, multiple spots, and even Owens running over one of the announcers’ tables wasn’t enough to end this game early. The two teams were in a bitter fight till the end.
Jimmy and J gained the advantage in the latter half of the match and even hit Owens with synchronized super kicks followed by the Uso Splash in an attempt to pin Owens. It didn’t work. The two again tried to knock Owens out once and for all with two more superkicks but Zayn got back into the match.
Owens connected with a suplex from the top rope on Jey Uso and tagged in Zayn, who was immediately hit with three Helluva Kicks.
Zayn then pinned Uso for the win. The old friends are now tag team champions.
Ripley W Flair was in a fight Throughout the ages.
The two were chasing each other with a flurry of blows and kicks. Ripley went for her finishing maneuver, the Riptide, early in the match but Flair countered with an incredible DDT.
At one point, Flair was coming up to jump off the top rope but Ripley got up to fight back. Ripley turned Flair into a suplex on the champ’s face and opened the top of her nose. But Flair would eventually be able to get Ripley to the ropes with a leg lock, but Ripley grabbed the rope to break the hold.
As the match progressed, Ripley knocked Flair off the top rope and braced her for Riptide. Ripley completed it and criticized Flair’s house. Flair would cover for 1-2-3 and win the SmackDown Women’s Championship.
This is the first time Ripley has held the SmackDown title. She was a one-time RAW Women’s Champion.
Here’s how to play the rest of the card.
- Austin Theory defeated John Cena via pinfall to retain the United States Championship.
- The Street Profits defeated Braun Strowman & Ricochet, Alpha Academy, and The Viking Raiders in a fatal four-way WrestleMania Showcase men’s match.
- Seth Rollins defeated Logan Paul via pinfall in a singles match.
- Becky Lynch, Lita and Trish Stratus defeated Damage CTRL in a six-woman tag team match.
- Rey Mysterio defeated Dominic Mysterio by pinfall.
- Pat McAfee defeated The Miz via pinfall.