As the seniors begin to celebrate their senior year of high school, their thoughts quickly race to prom, senior photos and graduation night. However, it is equally important that they focus some of their energy in applying for college scholarships.
It is estimated that more than 9 million students receive grants or loans from the Ministry of Education each year. Despite the $83 billion they will make this year, students and families should consider additional options to help pay for college including scholarships. Here are 20 helpful tips to start the process.
1. Request packages in advance.
2. Make copies of the package information in case you make any mistakes and need to re-file
3. Write your application package.
4. If you don’t have a typewriter, consider scanning your document and putting it on a disc.
5. Print your information on the application (only as a last resort).
6. Proofread your application for spelling errors and clarity.
7. Submit the application a week before the application deadline.
8. Keep a copy of the completed application for your records.
9. If the package needs to be received in a few days, consider sending it overnight.
10. Do not send your application late, as this reflects poorly on your organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
Letters of recommendation:
11. Request letters of recommendation in advance of the deadline.
12. Ask for letters from individuals that talk about your accomplishments.
13. A generic letter is worse than a missing letter.
14. Provide your writers with prepaid postage envelopes.
15. Provide your writers with a resume or profile of your accomplishments and activities.
16. Follow up with your writers to make sure your letters of recommendation were in order
17. Include all extracurricular activities during high school.
18. Include activities that occur intermittently.
19. Service activities are necessary to be competitive.
20. Activities that show leadership qualities are also important.
Free scholarship databases
FinAid: The SmartStudentTM Guide to Financial Aid
Website address: http://www.finaid.com